Monday 30 January 2012

Anti-Valentines

I'm not going to lie.  I really wish I had someone to celebrate valentines with.  To be sickeningly romantic with... but I don't/  I don't like the capitalism of it.  I don't want roses, I don't want teddy bears with big hearts.  I don't want cards or candy.

If i was celebrating valentines I would write my lover a poem, something from the heart, something that tells them how much I love them.  I would probably cook them a delicious meal because I am quite handy in the kitchen.  I would just want to be with someone for the day, wake up together, spend the day cuddled up and then fall asleep in each others arms.

I wouldn't go out and be rubbing my sickeningly cute loveliness in the faces of the lonely and loveless.  Last year I had Anti-Valentines with my friend Natalie.  Both of us single and alone, went out for food and got quite drunk on 2 for 1 cocktail pitchers.

Why do we celebrate a day that only succeeds in making people who are single unhappy and makes people who aren't single very poor.  I just don't know why people put themselves through it.  I would much rather spend the day in bed than spend the day exchanging already wilting flowers or chocolates that will be eaten and gone within an hour of giving them to someone.

I would like to celebrate valentines day.  I would like to celebrate it on my terms, not Hallmarks or Thorntons.

No comments:

Post a Comment